If the capacity of your hard drive is running low, it is time to clean off some files and to find large files on windows. First of all we have to identify the biggest “space consumers” and there are a couple of ways to do this.
Two methods to find large files on windows
Method 1: Find Large Files on Windows using Windows Explorer
You can use windows search for large files to find large files on your computer. To ensure that all files will display, first unhide hidden folders.
Step 1: Type “Show hidden” and click on the “Show Hidden Files and Folders” option.
Step 2: In the “View” tab of the window that opens, under “Files and Folders,” check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives.” Reverse this process when you’re finished.
- Press Win+F to bring forth the Windows Search window.
- Click the mouse in the Search text box in the upper-right corner of the window.
- Type size:gigantic
Select a size range. Click the option that best describes the file sizes you’re looking for. Once you make your selection, a list of files will appear.
- Gigantic will display files larger than 128 MB.
- Huge will display files larger than 16 MB but smaller than 128 MB.
- Large will display files larger than 1 MB but smaller than 16 MB.
The search will take some time and show a green progress bar in the address field since it is searching the entire C: drive. In newer versions of Windows, like Windows 10, the size option shows up in the ribbon and not in the search box anymore.
Method 2: Find Big Files Windows using a third-party program
You can find large files on Windows using a third-party program such as Space Sniffer. Space Sniffer can show you biggest files and folders. You can download it here http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/
SpaceSniffer is a freeWare and portable tool application. It lets you understand how folders and files are structured on your disks.
- Double click and run SpaceSniffer.exe as an administrator to have an access to all folders and files.
- Choose your space your space by clicking in one of the drives and click Start:
- SpaceSniffer will start to scan and by using a Treemap visualization layout, you have immediate perception of where big folders and files are placed on your devices.
- If you need a larger view of a small folder then double click on it, and it’ll zoom to the full extent of the view.
One of the largest consumer of disc space on Windows Clients are all the outdated and redundant files installed in the Component Store are stored in the WinSxS directory. You can read more about how to delete windows update files in our previous article
In the above discussion, there are two methods how to find large files on windows . Comment below if you have any other solution.