Did you just encounter error code 80004001 on windows 10? Well, you’re not the only one that has experienced this problem. Error code 80004001 is a common error code faced by a lot of windows 10 users. Sometimes it can be difficult to get rid of. In this article we’re going to explain it all for you, right from the causes to fixing the problem so that your operating system is back to working smoothly.
Understanding and Troubleshoot Error Code 80004001
What Does Error 80004001 Mean?
It means that there are mis-configured files in your operating system. When such situation happens, the system automatically restarts in order to stop the process that’s causing the problem. After restart you’ll receive a blue screen. Here are the major signs of error code 80004001;
- Blue screen showing the error code 80004001.
- Your system failed to update applications and will show the error code 80004001.
- Your computer will stop responding for a long period of time.
Most of the time you’ll receive the error code, but if you’re experiencing any of the above scenarios it’s a sign of 80004001 error code and you need to take the right action in order to restore back your operating system.
Causes Of Error Code 80004001
- Corrupted DLL files, VDX and EXE files in your windows operating system; these files are some of the most sensitive files on your operating system. When they’re altered the wrong way, you’ll definitely receive error codes on your PC.
- Adding wrong registry files on your computer; this is also another critical area you don’t want to mess with on your windows operating system. Most applications access your registry and sometimes they can make harmful changes that can cause problems to your computer.
- Corrupt system files for your operating system; when some of your system files are corrupt your operating system will malfunctioned when trying to execute some tasks and can lead to receiving error codes as well.
- Presence of harmful malware and virus on your operating system; virus and malware are one of the leading causes of almost every problem you’re experiencing on your PC. That’s why you need to ensure your computer is always clean.
- Incomplete installations of various applications on your computer; when you start installing software or apps and the process is stopped, it can cause a lot of problems to your operating system. One of such problems is getting blue screen or the error code 80004001.
- Faulty driver; system drivers also play an important role when it comes to running your windows smoothly, and when there is fault in them you’re bound to receive error codes.
How Fix Error 80004001 In Windows 10
Start up repair Windows System
As you already know when you face the problem of blue screen you can’t even access your computer main screen. That will give you access to some of the tools you need to fix the problem or get more information regarding the problem.
So your first action begins during start-up, you should enter safe mode and launch start-up repair. This gives you access to different tools that can be used to fix the problem. If you can’t fix the problem through start-up repair, you should force shutdown and then proceed with the following steps;
- First you need to have your windows installation media, that’s either cd/dvd or a USB Flash drive.
- Insert your installation media in the appropriate port.
- Press the power button on your pc and depending your PC, you need to press these function keys from your keyboard immediately your PC is on, these keys are Delete, Esc F2, F10, F12, F8, or backspace. The point here is to press the right keys that will take you to windows BIOS settings.
- Choose your preferred settings.
- In most computers you’ll see the option to repair your computer on the next screen that appears. You should select that and proceed.
- Choose the troubleshoot option within the options that appeared and then select advanced options.
- Continue with start up settings to proceed.
- Enable safe mode using the supported function key.
- Restart your pc – log into safe mode and you can now access your system files using the safe mode.
All the steps mentioned above is to give you access to your files so that you can diagnosed the problem. Proceed to the next step in order to find out what’s causing problem to your PC.
Run System File Checker
The first fix will be to execute system file checker (SFC), it’s a build in utility that comes in windows 10, and it can be accessed through (sfc/scanow). You should launch windows command prompt, launch as administrator and when command prompt open you then enter the code ‘sfc/scannow’
This will scan your PC to find and repair the programs that are causing blue screen. The process will take some time because all your system files and saved files will be scanned to identify the problem. Don’t do anything until it reaches 100%. In most cases, the problem of error code 80004001 will be solved and if not you should then proceed with the next step.
Find Faulty Driver
As we’ve mentioned earlier, faulty driver can be the main cause and hence you need to check on that as well. To start this process you should right-click on the left corner of your task bar. After that choose device manager from the menu displayed.
You’ll be able to view drivers with problems as they’ll be shown with exclamation mark beside their name. Right click on the driver with problem and select update driver from the context menu. You’ll be walked through the procedure; it’s just a few steps that won’t take much of your time.
After fixing updating and fixing drivers with problem, you should now restart your Pc normally. Check if the problem is fixed, if not, follow the next steps.
Update Windows Version
Outdated windows versions can also cause having blue screen. Most apps and software are built to be compatible with the latest windows version and when you try to run these programs on outdated windows, you might receive the error code 80004001 or a blue screen.
Error code 80004001 can be shown when there are some missing windows update, so go ahead and check for updates and install all of them. You can do so by searching for update on your pc, or you can open windows settings, the shortcut is ‘win+I’, you’ll notice windows update by your left, select the ‘check for updates’ option to see if updates are available.
You’ll be presented with updates that are available and you can click to install them. Once the update is complete your computer will restart automatically and you might get rid of the error code 80004001 for blue screen.
Above we’ve mentioned that updating your operating system can solve the problem. In the event that you received the error code 80004001 after installing new updates and you’ve checked that it’s not corrupt registry files or driver that’s causing the problem, you need to remove the updates you’ve added when you started experiencing the problem.
You can locate these update by opening windows settings and clicking on ‘update and security’, there is the option to view update history which will show you all updates added to your computer. Select the update that have been installed and right clicking on it will give you the option to uninstall. Hopefully, this time your error code will be removed from your PC, restart your Pc to see if the error code is gone.
The next step if the problem persists is to disable antivirus. These apps are helpful but sometimes they can mess up with your operating system, antivirus applications can prevent programs from running properly or can lead to problems that will affect the performance of your PC.
So what you want to do is to disable your antivirus and then restart your pc to see if the error code is gone. If your PC is ok by now, you’ll then want to get rid of your antivirus software and search for a better one or at least adjust the right settings. But the best way to deal with it is to uninstall the app completely.
Read Also – Error 0x8004005
Whenever you receive the error code 80004001, it’s definitely due to some changes that occurred on your PC. If you’ve installed a new program and suddenly started receiving windows error code 8000400, chances are the program has made unauthorized changes to your PC that caused problem in the registry or the entire operating system.
So system restore will bring back your system settings to normal. That’s why if you’re still experiencing the problem you should use some of the ‘system restore point’ and see if the problem is fixed. In most cases this method works, and doesn’t take much time. To launch system restore, you should go to control panel. Right click on the left task bar or through any other shortcut you might have for control panel on your PC.
You’ll notice recovery option and when clicked you’ll be presented with three options, you now click on ‘open system restore’. Now you’ll be able to choose the restore points that are available on your hard disk, select restore point that’s close to the date your PC started showing the error code. Choosing a restore point only restore your system settings, your documents and other files will not be affected.
After the restore point is completed, you restart your PC to see if the problem is solved.
Rebuilt Boot Configuration Data
When boot configuration files are changed, corrupt or deleted, they can definitely lead to error code 80004001. In situations like these, Rebuild Boot Configuration Data is the best way to deal with it.
You need your installation media to fix this, use your CD or USB that contain the installation package. When you attach your installation media, you need to restart your PC. After that press function keys on your PC (F2, F12, Esc, Del or e.t.c.) that will take you to boot menu. Select repair your computer and navigate through ‘troubleshoot’. Next, you select ‘advanced options’, choose ‘command prompt’ and type this command; ‘bootrec/rebuildbcd’.
If you receive the message ‘Total identified windows installations: 0’ click on next. If the message received is ‘Total identified windows installations: 1’, you pres the Y key on your keyboard and tap enter to reboot the PC.
On prompt command you can use the following codes to run each command separately. You need to press enter at the end of every command if you want them to run separately. Here is the code;
bcdedit /export c:bcdbackup
attrib c:bootbcd -h -r -s
ren c:bootbcd bcd.old
If you’re asked a question to press Y or yes, hit enter.
This step seems complex to most people and you have to go through each command carefully.
Use Windows Repair Tool
If you don’t want to go through the manual process of fixing this error code you can download repair utility. The tool is designed to fix windows error problem with a few clicks. These tools will find the cause of the problem and then fix it automatically. You have to be careful here, because some utility tools can cause more problems to your Pc rather than fixing it.
Most of these tools don’t come for free; you need to invest a few dollars in order to find the right software or app that can fix the error code 80004001 for you. So choose wisely and make sure to check for online reviews regarding any tool you want to use. Download the software and run it on your PC. Chances are your windows error code will be fixed effortlessly and immediately.
Reset Your PC
If all the above methods haven’t worked, you need to reset your PC; you can do this in two ways. You can reset your PC to factory restore. Everything will be deleted on the system and your operating system will be restored like when it’s brand new. This is the best restore and will definitely bring back your PC to working smoothly, but comes at a cost since you’re losing all your data.
Most people aren’t ok with this method, that’s why you have the second alternative to reset your PC but keeping all your data and files. This also works because every windows default settings will be restored. This will make your Pc run smoothly again without receiving any error code.
We’ve now reached the end of this article. We’ve outlined for you the best possible ways to fix error code 80004001 blue screen on windows 10. Hope the information shared has helped you solved the problem. If you have more ideas to share with our readers, please add your comments in the box below.